Kate Spade Inspired DIY Jewelry Tray

I love Kate Spade. The flawless jewelry, the classic handbags, the stunning shoes- I love it all. 
Unfortunately... my budget doesn't love Kate Spade. Wop-wop. 
Thus, I made this:


I love the Ticker Tape Tidbit china, and thought a single plate would be fun as a jewelry dish. Although I have no doubt it's worth every penny- each plate comes up to $50. Again: Wop-wop. 
Someday when I make my millions or win the lottery I'll buy one of everything online-mark my words!
Until then, I'll have to DIY what I can.
Kate Spade Ticker Tape Tidbit China
I stopped by a local thrift store and picked up this glass tray for a whopping $3:
 After a good sanding and a couple layers of white acrylic paint I got everything I needed ready:
- Foam Brush -    -Painter's Tape-    -Scissors-     -Martha Stewart Glitter (yellow barite & copper)-  
-Index Card-     -Metallic Acrylic Paint ( Deco Art Splendid Gold)-      -Mod Podge-

Next I cut a small hole in the index card, reinforcing the card with some painters tape:


Slowly but surely I added gold dot after gold dot, stopping every 10 or so to allow time for them to dry without smearing. The best part about the Kate Spade design is that there are overlapping dots- so anytime I messed up I simply let it dry & painted another dot covering up my mistake! 
 Continual dot adding....
 A little bit of glitter just for good measure & some Mod Podge to seal it all off!
 The finished product!
 Of course, the best part was adding a little bit of my jewelry- just a few of my favorite gold pieces:
 Jewelry:
Cobalt Studs: Fornash
Gold Leaf earrings: Thrifted (for $1!)
Watches & Bracelet: Charming Charlie
Tiny Gold Locket: c/o Hibiscusdays Jewelry
Gold Circle Diamond Necklace: Gorjana (c/o Shopbop)

I am THRILLED with how it turned out. It's shiny and glittery and completely wonderful. 
It may not be real Kate Spade, but I sure do love it. 

Would you keep your jewelry favorites on this DIY tray?
If not, what's your go-to jewelry storage?

xo, lp

Pssst: I know was all people could talk about a little while ago..but how perfect are Kate Spade watches?  Le Sigh. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment