SWEET & CRUNCHY ASIAN CABBAGE SALAD

Happy Tuesday people! 
 I love football, and I figured it was time to start sharing with you some great recipes for football parties or tailgates. Now, before you raise your eyebrows at the thought of a cabbage salad going with football food, let me plead my case.
Most of tailgating food is really heavy and unhealthy, and a bright, fresh salad is perfect for breaking all that up. It's essentially an Asian version of coleslaw, and is insanely addictive. My mom makes a version of this salad every year for Thanksgiving, and I tried my best to recreate it without actually having a recipe. Here it is!
What you'll need:
Base:
Two  14 oz Bags Dole Cabbage/Coleslaw Mix 
One 11oz tin of mandarin oranges- segments separated from the juice.
Topping:
1 Package ramen noodles (not seasoning)
1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon butter
Dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable or olive oil 
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons stone ground mustard 
1 tablespoon mandarin orange juice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes 

How to make it happen:
Step 1: Take your ramen noodles and crush them up in a bowl with your almonds and sesame seeds.
Step 2: Melt your butter in a frying pan and once sizzling, cook up your ramen mixture until golden brown.
Step 3: Whisk together all the ingredients of your dressing and put in the fridge to cool.
Step 4: Toss together your cabbage mixture with the mandarin orange segments.
Step 5: Right before serving, whisk together your dressing and toss in with the salad. Finish with ramen topping and serve immediately!
I made this a few weeks ago for a bbq with some family and friends and every single person had multiple servings (insert horn tooting here). It's tangy and sweet and a little salty, crunchy and just plain wonderful. 

Like I said, seriously great for a tailgate. I stake my reputation on it, folks.

What unusual dish do you make for your tailgates?
If you don't have one, make this yours!

xo, lp

0 comments:

Post a Comment