PARMESAN GARLIC QUINOA (you'll never eat mac & cheese again!)

I love quinoa.
Being a vegetarian I used to eat a lot of pasta, but lately have been trying to eat a little less processed pasta- especially boxed mac & cheese. I am in NO means claiming to be a part of any whole30, paleo, ANYTHING, just realized every time I ate boxed pasta I felt sleepy & sluggish. Thus, I've started eating quinoa more and more. For those of you who aren't totally behind it, I totally get it. I know it's a texture thing for a lot of people, but I promise once you learn how to cook it properly and infuse it with great flavor, you won't go back!

*oh, and quinoa is not the most appetizing to look at or photograph. bear with me *

What you'll need:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water
1 medium white onion (cut in 1.5 inch strips)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (part of which for garnish)

How to make it happen:
Step 1: RINSE YOUR QUINOA. Don't be lazy. It takes two seconds! Rinse in cold water. Your stomach will thank me later. I won't get graphic but that's all I'll say.
Step 2: Heat up your olive oil in a large sauce pan and saute your onions for 4-5 minutes. Throw in your garlic for a minute, stirring so it doesn't burn.
Step 3: Add in your water and quinoa and cover the pot, bringing the water to a boil.
Step 4: Bring down to low and allow to simmer. Quinoa should take about 15 minutes to cook or so- but you'll know when there is a ring around the outside and the center is clear- plus about all of your water should be absorbed!
Step 5: Mix in your salt, basil, black & red pepper, and 1/3 cup of your cheese. If you want it a little more creamy, go ahead and add more!
Step 6: Dish it up while hot and sprinkle with pepper and cheese for garnish! 

You'll be left with a creamy, salty, smooth dish! It's really worth it to use good, grated Parmesan cheese- the flavor will be so much better!

Willing to give up mac & cheese for this?
Try it friends. It's seriously delicious!

xo, lp

----

Want an even healthier, VEGAN quinoa recipe?

0 comments:

Post a Comment