DIY Marbleized Ornaments

Project of the Day:

 I found some hollow glass ornaments for a ridiculously cheap price at Michael's with the intention of making some cool painted glass ornaments like these:


















(sources: Here for multi-colored ones or Here for neon ones)

      First I tried the fairly easy ones from Young House Love- but the paint colors I used (matte white and blue) just didn't look like anything super special- so I washed them out and tried the multi-colored ornaments. Maybe it was the paint I was using or maybe I'm just glass-ornament-filled-with-paint challenged... but either way I failed miserably and they looked NOTHING like the gorgeous ones I had pinned. Instead I decided to just start mixing paints with a little white in hopes of getting a marbleized effect.
Magic happened- and it WORKED! This method takes a little patience- since if you mix the paints too much or too quickly you'll get a muddy look rather than a marbleized one. Patient is one thing I am not when it comes to crafting- but these looked so cool I actually managed to sit myself down for long enough to make 6 of them in different colors.

Here's the easy step-by-step:

Step 1: Pour a good amount of whatever you want your main color to be in a bowl and mix around to warm it up. I know that sound ridiculous but some acrylic paints are really thick and need to be stirred to make them easier to work with.

 Step 2: Drip a few dots of white paint (or a lighter shade of the paint you're using) all around your main color
 Step 3: Drag your brush once around just enough to barely make the dots blur
 Step 4: Pour a good amount of the mix in the glass ornament and begin to slowly twirl the ornament
 Step 5: If need be- pour in another helping of paint on another side of the ornament-it will end up giving the ornament an almost paneled look

 Step 6: Repeat with other colors and enjoy!








Obviously the darker your base color is the better the white swirls will stand out- but a whole set in shades of one color would definitely be cool.

What do you think??
Easy enough for a holiday DIY?


0 comments:

Post a Comment