Jewelry Tree!

I hope you all had either a wonderful Christmas or 6th night of Hanukkah last night!

For those of you who were introduced to my blog from my guest feature over at A Simple Affair - welcome back!

For those of you that first saw me over on A Simple Affair- this post is the same- so spoiler alert: you already know how this DIY project turns out...sorry!

For those of you who didn't see my guest post, let me explain. Carly and I share a love for big, bright necklaces and I felt I needed to display the sparkling gems somewhere to show off their beauty. Our upstairs loft area is really open- and I wanted to find a place that Michael wouldn't have to stare at every day.  I finally decided that the wall that serves as a headboard for our bed was the perfect nook to start out:

After checking out Pinterest I decided rakes, towel racks, and shower bars were not right fit for me - but when I saw some tree murals painted I knew that a necklace tree coming out of the corner of the wall was the way to go. First I penciled out the tree: 
(Go ahead, make fun of it. I know it looks like a 4 year old drew it- but have faith!)

Next I mixed up a charcoal grey color- which  I figured would be neutral enough to highlight all the necklace colors and bold enough to stand out on the wall:
(Yes, I had to wear my highest heels to paint the top of the tree- being 5'2" + no step stool = fashionable painting)
See? Much better than the pencil sketch:

After the paint dried I began hammering paneling nails along the branches for the necklaces to hang from:
(Make sure you leave at least 6 inches between your main branches so all your necklaces can show!)


The final step was to hang the necklaces ... the ones I could find at least - 2 months living here and I still haven't unpacked all the boxes! 

Leaves are lovely and all, but wouldn't you rather have a tree dripping with jewels??
                           

After I hung all the necklaces I added some dangling earrings to the little, lower branches.  Doesn't it perfectly fill in the wall and the tree?


So there you have it- a great way to take a bare wall and turn it into a showcase for all your favorite statement pieces. How do you show off your great jewels?

P.S. Make sure to check out Carly's post on statement necklaces here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment