Chevron art

   ** note: it's a good thing I wrote this post ahead of time. it wouldn't be nearly as peppy if I had written it after the game last night. sigh. heartbreak.**


   Alright folks, it's time to get on board with Tiffany at Living Savvy and her No Spend Challenge! Tiffany decided that for the month of January she wouldn't spend a dime on home decor-and is inviting all of you to do the same! Thus, when it came time to get some decoration in the downstairs bathroom I looked in the craft stash to see what I could make with what I had, rather than running to Michael's or Target!

I saw this chevron art and loved it. I mean, it's chevron. Who doesn't love chevron?

Originally from here
I have a lot of blank canvases from Michael's Crafts, so I grabbed one of those, some old bottles of acrylic paint, and the blue painters tape I got in my stocking from Michael's parents (do they know me or what!?). At first I was going to use the full width of the painters tape but realized it would be way too thick- so I just cut each piece in half:

 I started by making all the main vertical lines down the canvas, and slowly filled in the diagonal lines to make the chevron pattern:


 Cutting everything in half and taping it all in an even pattern took a while- but it sure looked cool!
 I started out with a lighter mint green to cover most of the background to make sure there wouldn't be any white space other than the lines once the tape came up:
 After that had a minute to dry I simply did random brushstrokes of different greens, teals, and blues.
 Ripping off the tape led to this:


 The upstairs bathroom had just gotten the Potato Polka Dot art recently, so the downstairs bathroom needed some color too! Before:
 After:


I love how well the white lines stand out- next time I think I'd make it a little more blended together rather than such obvious brushstrokes. Still, not bad for not spending a dime!

Like I said before, if you want to join the challenge, visit Tiffany over at Living Savvy and grab the button!


Living Savvy

I still have a healthy stock of canvases in the spare room ready for decorating- any ideas?

0 comments:

Post a Comment