Blackberry Pie Pops

Hi. I don't like pie.

Yeah, I know, you all think I'm un-American now. 

I saw Emily over at Cupcakes and Cashmere make pie pops awhile back and decided they looked too cute not to give them a try! [The original How-To was from Bakerella
Now, Emily used frozen berries and Bakerella used pre-made pie filling-but I made mine a little differently, so I'll share my version!
What you'll need to make it happen (makes 8 pie pops):
- 8 lollipop sticks (can buy these at Michael's)
- 1 9 inch pre-made pie crust
- Handful of blackberries
- 2-3 teaspoons of granulated sugar
- Zest & juice of half a lemon
- 1 Egg (for eggwash)
-Parchment Paper
How to make it happen:
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
Step 2: Unroll your pie crust and use either a cookie cutter or knife to cut small (2 inchish) circles.
Step 3: Chop up blackberries and mix with sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
Step 4: Place pie circles on parchment lined baking sheet and fill the middle with a small amount of the blackberry mixture & a lollipop stick. 
Step 5: Dabbing the outside edges with your eggwash, place another pie circle over the mixture and carefully seal closed using a fork or lollipop stick.
Step 6: Brush the top of the sealed pie pop with a bit of eggwash and sprinkle with sugar.
Step 7: Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Step 8: Let cool slightly, and enjoy!







I have to say, for a girl who doesn't like pie much, these were pretty good...a little bit doughy, but good.

Using fresh berries definitely gave the pie pops a bright, fresh taste over the cloyingly sweet pre-made filling. 

How perfect would these be for a 4th of July party?
 I'm thinking blueberry filling for some and raspberry for others....
[see, I do have USA pride, people!]

xo, lp

0 comments:

Post a Comment