DIY Collage Coasters

I have an unnecessary amount of coasters.
No, really. 

Between the DIY scrabble drink coasters I made a while back and the Minnesota themed ones, I have enough coasters to have a small army over for a very condensation-free dinner party.
So what did I do while at the dollar store a while back? Well, pick up some tile coaster bases, naturally.
 Why not add to the coaster hoarding problem?
 I stashed them away and completely forgot about them, because my craft boxes are black holes...but found them a while back and decided to do something with them. Since we're moving, I decided it was finally time to cut up some old clothing catalogues we didn't need to bring with us (sorry J.Crew and Lands' End!). After longingly gazing at all the pretty clothes I'd missed out on, I cut out my favorite colors and patterns:
I cut them up into a ridiculous amount of squares and started separating them out by color, with the intention of making a gradating color pattern: 
After a quick dry-run to make sure I had cut the squares to evenly line up, I simply started using my trusty gluestick to adhere the squares. Difficult, right?
I decided to make one a more green-blue-purple, and one a yellow-orange-red-pink-purple, sealing both with a two layers of Mod Podge:
So here they are folks:

I happen to be madly in love with them. Yeah. Coasters. Madly in love. Deal with it. For some reason it makes me happy to recognize some of my favorite patterns (like the blue lobster seen above from a pair of preppy men's chinos). 

What do you think?
Anyone else a coaster hoarder? No? ::crickets:: Fine.

xo, lp

p.s it's my last day of work today (ah!).

0 comments:

Post a Comment